Wednesday, May 20, 2009

So the journey begins......

I had my first appointment with the bariatric surgeon last Thursday. My insurance requires 7 visits or 6 full months of seeing him before they will approve the surgery. So it is tentatively set for Decemember 14th. Talk about a long time to wait. This will teach me some patience. I am a instant gratification kinda gal. I have to go through a series of things also before. Next week I meet with a psychiatrist for a psych evaluation (I better just stay quiet, or they might lock me up) then the following week I meet with a nutrition counselor. I believe I will have to meet with her 3 times. I attended a bariatric support group meeting last night. There were several pre and post op folks there. But all the post op's had the by-pass, I have questions for post op lap-banders. I do know 2 people personally that have been banded. I still have that concern about the port and what about after weight comes off....is it visible? Dr says "no" and one of my friends had it a year and half ago, she says no (but she states she still has some chunk there) Then there is the whole thing about hair loss....from lack of nutrients...I know what you're thinking. I must be an idiot for even considering this, but until you've walked in my shoes, judge not, that ye be not judged. I have been the "fat girl" my entire life. And it's to the point now, where I am self conscience about it again. I was when I was younger, but then I got really comfortable in my own skin. Now since my accident and I've gotten so big, I have gotten uneasy once again. I have tried diets.....I just gain it and then some back. So now I am at the turning point. I need to seek medical help for my obesity. I long for the day that I will be able to enjoy the outdoors like I once did, go hiking and canoeing and I might even ride on the back of that motorcycle. Hubby is supportive of the band, but not the complete by-pass, he says it is too evasive. He also reminds me that he did not marry a "skinny girl", but he understands that this is for my health and for me.

I thought about creating a brand new blog to follow my new journey, but since I don't have much to blog about, I think I'll just do it on here. In case anyone cares.....lol

4 comments:

Rachel Mary said...

im very interested in your story keep me updated. no matter what tho i think your beautiful already...

Introspective Steph said...

I care!

I know gaining weight is not a lot of fun...i've gained so much since high school! and even from college to being married...not fun! And I understand how hard it is to lose the weight. It's so easy to gain, but so hard to lose! I just did the calculations of what i weigh now from what I weighted in High school...yikes!!!! So, yeah, I kinda know where you're coming from!

SuburbiaMom said...

I don't mind you blogging about your experience. Good luck with everything!

Aaron & Nancy said...

Sounds like a long process, but it's good that you will have so much support. December does sound so far away, but it will be here before you know it. Good luck! It was so good to see you Sat. night and get to visit with you and your mom. You and Madelyn were so cute to watch on Sunday!